As a homeowner you can make additional income by opening up your home to tourists and business travelers whilst you are out of town. We are here to make this as effortless as possible by fully managing the end to end process from marketing your home, to managing the guest bookings, inquiries and check-in, conducting photo inventories, managing linens and cleaning as well as any maintenance during guest stays.
Your home will have the hotel touch, as we provide high quality bed linens and towels (putting yours away for your personal use only) and our guests have the option of using our bespoke concierge service to contact us throughout their stay with any questions or requests.
We believe that by telling your personal story and sharing the hidden treasures of your home, we create an appreciation for the home and a high level of respect as a result. We ensure that guests staying in your home feel like a friend has left their keys ‘UnderTheDoormat’ for them and they have the pleasure of staying in a home and creating their own story through the eyes of a ‘local’.
What does this mean for you financially?
• It’s an opportunity to earn money when your home is sitting empty, to fund extra holidays, improvements to your home or even support a charity
• You earn a set fee per guest night so you know how much you will get for each night that guests stay in your home.
• We market your property to guests for a higher amount that includes all our management services and when your guests book, they essentially pay for the management of your property.
• UnderTheDoormat manages pricing and demand changes, to maximize bookings for your home without having to hassle you with constant variations.
• You would like to monetize your most valuable and underused asset, your home;
• Your home is empty for at least 4 weeks or more per year, perhaps whilst you are away with work or on holiday;
• Your home is located in London zones 1-3 or south-west London within zone 6.
Safe and Secure
• You prefer to keep most of your personal belongings in your property in a way that ensures they are safe and avoid costs of removal and storage;
• You would like UnderTheDoormat to manage any maintenance issues that might arise in your property while you are away;
• You would be happy to share with us the story about your home, how to take care of it, and your favourite places nearby – so we can take care of creating a guest guide about your home for the people who come and stay.
Does having someone manage my home make sense for me?
• You find self-management of your property too time-consuming or burdensome (managing bookings, washing sheets, meeting guests, organizing cleaners etc.);
• You would like UnderTheDoormat to manage guest interactions directly and to arrange the bookings, field any questions, requests and ensure the guests have everything they need
• You share our values: ‘be open’, ‘inspire trust’, ‘share experiences’ and ‘stay authentic’.
• You are curious about the sharing economy and interested in being a part of this growing market
• You are interested in this new property management model which allows you to rent your primary home when you are away for as little as 3 days at a time.
Are there any extra fees/costs?
We work on a model where the amount you earn per night as a homeowner is a NET amount so there shouldn’t be any unexpected extra fees from our side. Occasionally our homeowners ask us to provide extra services such as managing viewings for them if they are in the process of selling their home, sending something to them they forgot before their trip or arranging extra cleaning such as an oven cleaning, or deep clean of your home. For any services of our team, we charge a fee of 20 GBP per hour and extra cleaning is charged to you at cost from our cleaning company. We are able to deduct this from your booking so that there are no additional invoices or payments required for you to make to ensure our extra services are as easy for you as possible.
We hope you find this information useful. We find that having a chat through it all is even more helpful to understand if this might be the inspiration for becoming a part of the sharing economy with UnderTheDoormat. We would love the opportunity to meet with you in person and discuss the details and help to manage your expectations if you would like to know more.
E-Sign a partnership contract
We send you the contract electronically for signature. This includes the terms and conditions and occupancy agreement and provides the legal framework for working together as well as ensuring everyone is clear about their responsibilities and protected for all eventualities.
Share with us the story of your home and the highlights nearby
This is all about you and the places you love around your area, plus some necessary information about your home which is helpful for our guests to ensure they understand how to take care of your home. We want to help them experience the life of a local through your eyes and also respect your home and treat it as they would want you to treat
theirs if the shoe were on the other foot. We will arrange a day when it is most convenient for you and come around to take photos and go together through your answers to the questionnaire. We will send you the questionnaire in advance, so we can just review any specifics or important details together.
Preparing for the photo shoot
Photos of your home are a vital part of the marketing materials and this is what attracts the guest the most.
We can help you to have your home clean (with our cleaning company), tidy and free of clutter so that we are able to capture your home as it will be during guest stays. Being able to present your home well in the photographs helps us to highlight the personality and gives potential guests the feeling of what it would be like to stay in your home- all of this helps us to get the best guests and more confirmed bookings for your home.
Inform us about your home availability
Once you are on board as a homeowner, please email us with your availability dates. Please also let us know how flexible you are if you would like us to contact you offering other days upon request. To get the most from working with UnderTheDoormat. Please keep us up to date about your home’s availability and think ahead, as many guests think ahead up to 6 months in advance or even longer for special events.
The sooner we know it is free, the more likely it is for us to find the right people to visit your place and increase the number of nights booked while you are away.
Generating interest and the first bookings
We will send a proposed summary about your home for our website and guest guide to your home for your review and approval and if you are happy with the photos and the content, we can begin to market your home on our website as well as on other platforms and get your first bookings.
Whenever we receive a booking for your home, we will send you a booking confirmation e-mail with all the details of the dates and times, guests who will be staying, and anything you need to do in preparation, so you can plan accordingly.
Secure your valuables in preparation
Before you leave your home: we would ask you to put all your valuables in to the storage/closet/cupboard or a safe where applicable and put a ribbon with tamper proof tape on the cupboards (which we will provide in your welcome kit) so that you have the peace of mind knowing that no one has gone into your most important things.
Safe suggestions: unless you have one already, we would suggest you consider getting one to keep any valuable jewelry, watches, cameras or documents and avoid any worries. This is a recommended safe company that you can consider who will come and install it for you.
Enjoy your time away
Leave for your travels knowing UnderTheDoormat is managing everything for you and come back to a freshly cleaned home and some effortless additional income.
We would be delighted to know if you have any comments or questions and are always open to any suggestions on how we can improve your experience with UnderTheDoormat.
Safety and Security
Please have a look at the few things to do to let your home while you are away:
Gas safety certificate and maintenance
We recommend landlord maintenance policy with British gas for a small amount per month. It covers you throughout the year while you are home or away, and includes the gas safety certificate (a legal requirement), as well as repairs to your boiler, plumbing and electrics. For your convenience you can authorize a 3rd party (UnderTheDoormat) to manage that for you when you are away.
Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, CO2 detector are in place if you don’t already have them
4 set of keys: 1 for us, 1 for cleaners and 2 for guests
While we protect contractually from keys being copied, if you want to be extra secure, we recommend high security keys that can only be copied with authorisation.
We recommend http://www.redinventory.co.uk/, the costs can be covered through your first booking if you arrange for us to set it up.
Once the basics are in place for the first visit, future bookings are simple and we try and take care of everything we can so all you need to do is let us know when you are away and leave the place clean and tidy when you go.
Our homeowners have found that this has been a godsend year round when things happen to go wrong and British Gas has a great team who can get out to fix any issues quickly.
We believe that selecting the right guests and managing everything in the right way prevents most issues from ever arising. Occasionally an accident can happen and if we have missed something and you find that there is something that is not right upon your return, please let us know straight away so that we are able to work with you and provide the required information to make a claim for anything which needs to be repaired or replaced so that we can ensure your peace of mind while you are away on future travels.
4. What happens if there is an electric, plumbing breakdown or any maintenance issue whilst I'm away?
If a guest reports an issue, we work to ensure both for the homeowner and guest that it is resolved as soon as possible so that you come home to everything working perfectly.
For 90% of the issues that may arise, we are able to resolve it without ever contacting you during your travels. Many of our homeowners find this to be an extra peace of mind, especially in winter where they have had bad luck in the past with something breaking while they are away.
For anything more important or that requires more specialist knowledge about your home, we will contact you to ensure we are able to find the right solution for you.
Our standard charge is 20 GBP per hour for extra services, in this case our team member presence during the viewing.
We can do viewings with 24 hours minimum notice – with high preference for daytime bookings between 10 and 5pm to minimize disturbance to the guests.
In exceptional circumstances, we can offer an alternative to your guests and we will try to find something as similar as possible amongst our homes or via booking an alternative for them. In those cases, while we will try to find something of a similar quality at the same price point to avoid your incurring costs, any additional costs to relocate the guests to another home would need to be covered by the homeowner so it is important to avoid these changes wherever possible.
We also use other platforms to market your home and over time, we adjust the platforms based on our experience with them and ensuring we are getting the right guests for you.
Many of our guests are referrals or return guests and this is increasingly the case as our guests have a great experience and want to tell other people they know about it or have the peace of mind in working with us for future visits to London.
1. The sharing economy is about being open and transparent. We need to ensure that any other companies you choose to work with are not directly in the same space as that can create confusion with potential guests if they see the same home advertised for different prices etc. on the same or similar sites. We believe it is very important to be transparent in everything we do and we ask your help in ensuring that your potential guests are feeling good about the experience of staying in your home from the start.
2. Most of our homeowners work only with us and they find that is the easiest experience as coordinating between multiple companies and ensuring there isn’t any overlap in requests can be extra work our homeowners generally like to avoid.
A member of the team of UnderTheDoormat will contact both parties in the aim to resolve the dispute within 10 working days.
- 25% of the Fee if a Guest cancels a Booking more than 1 calendar week prior to the Start Date but less than 30 days prior to the Start Date
- 50% of the Fee if a Guest cancels a Booking 1 calendar week or less prior to the Start Date