UnderTheDoormat individually selects short stay homes in London with character and personality.
As a homeowner you can make additional income by opening up your home to tourists and business travelers whilst you are out of town. We are here to make this as effortless as possible by fully managing the end to end process from marketing your home, to managing the guest bookings, inquiries and check-in, conducting photo inventories, managing linens and cleaning as well as any maintenance during guest stays.
Your home will have the hotel touch, as we provide high quality bed linens and towels (putting yours away for your personal use only) and our guests have the option of using our bespoke concierge service to contact us throughout their stay with any questions or requests.
We believe that by telling your personal story and sharing the hidden treasures of your home, we create an appreciation for the home and a high level of respect as a result. We ensure that guests staying in your home feel like a friend has left their keys ‘UnderTheDoormat’ for them and they have the pleasure of staying in a home and creating their own story through the eyes of a ‘local’.
What does this mean for you financially?
· Its an opportunity to earn money when your home is sitting empty, to fund extra holidays, improvements to your home or even support a charity
· You earn a set fee per guest night so you know how much you will get for each night guests stay in your home.
· We market your property to guests for a higher amount that includes all our management services and when your guests book, they essentially pay for the management of your property.
· UnderTheDoormat manages pricing and demand changes, to maximize bookings for your home without having to hassle you with constant variations.
Is UnderTheDoormat for me?
· You would like to monetize your most valuable and underused asset, your home;
· Your home is your primary residence in London and you want the flexibility to use it whenever you need it as well as to rent it for up to 90 days a year
· Your home is empty for at least 4 weeks or more per year, perhaps whilst you are away with work or on holiday;
· Your home is located in London zones 1-2 or south-west London within zone 6.
· You prefer to keep most of your personal belongings in your property in a way that ensures they are safe and avoid costs of removal and storage;
· You would like UnderTheDoormat to manage any maintenance issues that might arise in your property while you are away;
· You would be happy to share with us the story about your home, how to take care of it, and your favourite places nearby – so we can take care of creating a guest guide about your home for the people who come and stay.
· You find self-management of your property too time-consuming or burdensome (managing bookings, washing sheets, meeting guests, organizing cleaners etc.);
· You would like UnderTheDoormat to manage guest interactions directly and to arrange the bookings, field any questions, requests and ensure the guests have everything they need
· You share our values: ‘be open’, ‘inspire trust’, ‘share experiences’ and
· You are curious about the sharing economy and interested in being a part of this growing market
· You are interested in this new property management model which allows you to rent your primary home when you are away for as little as 3 days at a time.
How much time do I have to invest in becoming a homeowner?
We take care of everything from professional photography, marketing, managing guest enquiries and bookings, providing sheets, toiletries and meeting guests to providing insurance during guest stays to give you peace of mind and save your precious time.
Just follow these 6 simple steps to becoming a homeowner:
To get started we ask for the following:
We can help you to have your home clean (with our cleaning company), tidy and free of clutter so that we are able to capture your home as it will be during guest stays. Being able to present your home well in the photographs helps us to highlight the personality and gives potential guests the feeling of what it would be like to stay in your home- all of this helps us to get the best guests and more confirmed bookings for your home.
The sooner we know it is free, the more likely it is for us to find the right people to visit your place and increase the number of nights booked while you are away.
Safe suggestions: unless you have one already, we would suggest you consider getting one to keep any valuable jewelry, watches, cameras or documents and avoid any worries. This is a recommended safe company that you can consider who will come and install it for you.
We would be delighted to know if you have any comments or questions and are always open to any suggestions on how we can improve your experience with UnderTheDoormat.
How can I be assured that my home is safe and secure?
Being a homeowner is also a responsibility and we strive to show you that once some of the legal requirements are resolved, it is effortless to rent out your home with us.
Please have a look at the few things to do to let your home while you are away:
Once the basics are in place for the first visit, future bookings are simple and we try and take care of everything we can so all you need to do is let us know when you are away and leave the place clean and tidy when you go.
What are my next steps?
We hope you found this information useful as background. We find that having a chat through it is even more helpful to understand if this might be the inspiration for becoming a part of the sharing economy with UnderTheDoormat. We would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss if you would like to know more.
Our standard charge is 20 GBP per hour for extra services, in this case our team member presence during the viewing.
We can do viewings with 24 hours minimum notice – with high preference for daytime bookings between 10 and 5pm to minimize disturbance to the guests.
We believe that selecting the right guests and managing everything in the right way prevents most issues from ever arising. Occasionally an accident can happen and if we have missed something and you find that there is something that is not right upon your return, please let us know straight away so that we are able to work with you and provide the required information to make a claim for anything which needs to be repaired or replaced so that we can ensure your peace of mind while you are away on future travels.
If a guest reports an issue, we work to ensure both for the homeowner and guest that it is resolved as soon as possible so that you come home to everything working perfectly. For 90% of the issues that may arise, we are able to resolve it without ever contacting you during your travels. Many of our homeowners find this to be an extra peace of mind, especially in winter where they have had bad luck in the past with something breaking while they are away. For anything more important or that requires more specialist knowledge about your home, we will contact you to ensure we are able to find the right solution for you.
Many of our guests are referrals or return guests and this is increasingly the case as our guests have a great experience and want to tell other people they know about it or have the peace of mind in working with us for future visits to London.
1. The sharing economy is about being open and transparent. We need to ensure that any other companies you choose to work with are not directly in the same space as that can create confusion with potential guests if they see the same home advertised for different prices etc. on the same or similar sites. We believe it is very important to be transparent in everything we do and we ask your help in ensuring that your potential guests are feeling good about the experience of staying in your home from the start.
2. Most of our homeowners work only with us and they find that is the easiest experience as coordinating between multiple companies and ensuring there isn’t any overlap in requests can be extra work our homeowners generally like to avoid.